Saturday 8 May 2010

Socks in Sandals


Having visible socks in the sandals has for as long as most of us can remember probably been one of the biggest fashion no-no's. As such, it did not lack of comments and meanings when the catwalks were filled up by girls wearing this number one fashion no-no this spring.
I have a very faboulous french friend, and her initial reaction was "that's just not right". However, the hard core fashionistas around the world has embraced the trend, and I must admit, I quite like it. I think the socks bring a certain edge to an outfit, giving the wonderful opportunity to play with yet another accessory. It is also a very practical trend, keeping the feet warm, and perhaps hiding the fact that you did not prioritise pedicures over the winther.

Of course there is strong gudielines on which socks you actually can use. They should not be thick, preferably see-through, and not too patterned. The keyword is elegance, so do not fall for the temptation to use your old tennis socks. It is also very important to use the right shoes and clothes to this trend, stearing clear of jeans and long dresses. Use the socks with short skirts, dresses and this seasons shorts. The pictures above should give you a clue. Heels is essential, but wether it is killer or kitten, you can decide.

I have been trying on this trend since February/March, and I must admit I have got some amusing reactions. Even boys who do not know squat about fashion has approached me and said "you do realise you are wearing socks in your shoes?". Everyone knows it is a no-no, so I have experienced peculiar looks from resturant guests, random people and the street, and of course, the fashion aware friends. It is not expected by the fashion gurus that this trend is going to be followed to slavishly by everyone, our negative view about socks in sandals is to deeply embedded in our mind. However, this spring socks in sandals is a yes-yes. And I love it.
Perhaps I can convince some of you to join me?:)

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. "It's keeping your feet warm": yes
    "It is practical": yes
    It is elegant..? Hmm, I'm quite skeptical, too traditional maybe.. it's a "killer" for me, sorry...
    I admit to be a bit stubborn but i stay on my positions... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look cute indeed!

    ReplyDelete