Wednesday 9 June 2010

Do you want the truth, or something beautiful?

As mentioned in earlier entries, I do have certain ethical preferences when it comes to fashion. I usually do not preach my views, as I regard fashion as it is supposed to be, mostly fun and a welcomed distraction from all the other more serious things in the world. However, I just want to share my initial reaction when I saw this picture,

It is a beautiful girl (indeed she is a runner up in the Miss Norway 2010 competition), and what she is wearing is probably not her fault as it is most likely a picture from a model shoot she has done. However, this is the picture that is released to the press, and is to be found in the Norwegian media of this girl. And yes, it is fashionable, but I do not particularly like the fact that she is wearing this big fur. This big, gorgeus fur, that probably would look even better on the rightful owners, the poor little animals that every day sacrifice their lifes for the beauty and the fashion industry.

I think it is important to think about the messages you (perhaps as a publicist) send when you go out wearing certain items or releases these pictures, probably making even more little girls want to wear a fur like this, looking gorgeus in its softness.

I want to underline that I am not completely political about it, I must admit that I have sold fur when working within fashion, and it is very hard to get a good winter jacket without some fur around the collar . However, my personal choice is to not wear anything which I know has been made by killing (and even breeding) an animal only for the stake of its fur. I have nothing against leather (it is impossible considering my addiction to bags and shoes), where the whole animal is used for different purposes. And I am no vegetarian (however not particularly fond of red meat). And for this picture, who would wear fur during summer anyway?

Fur is beautiful. Especially when it is worn by the rightful owner.

So, do you want the truth, or something beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment