Monday 8 March 2010

Fashion formula

I believe that a woman’s wardrobe always should include certain things, such as the perfect jeans that make you feel great every time you wear it and the little black dress. I think that some pieces will last for several years, even a lifetime, and other pieces will only be worn once. This is why I never follow trends slavishly, but rather try to buy classical items of good quality. However, I love shopping, and like most girls I find it really hard to resist buying a thing or two (read a 100) when a new collection arrive in the store. To me fashion is essential, but not just because I enjoy buying and wearing clothes, but because I am intrigued with the way an outfit change the way a person feels and perceive themselves. Working in fashion, I have seen miserable and grey women walk in to the store, transforming into radiant and happy ladies by the time they have tried on their second outfit. Women shop to feel better, and fashion is all about beautiful things and feelings.

My second passionate view about fashion is that we have to become more critical about what we buy, and how much we buy. As climate change and environmental problems escalates by the minute, we have to be sensible shoppers, and contribute in the small way a fashionista can. So my pledge is to try, as far as I can, to buy good quality products that last longer, buy organic cotton and other natural garments like silk and wool, try not to buy too much polyester and recycle the clothes I no longer use.

I have created a list over the absolute necessities a woman should have in her wardrobe, this list has been proven helpful for me in the past (especially when dressing up and selling clothes to others), and I hope it will inspire you as well:

1. The perfect jeans. It is always incredible hard to find the perfect jeans, so when you find one, always buy two. Preferably in different colours, one dark and one light.

2. The little black dress that makes you feel good and ready to shine, even the days you feel like a mess and would prefer staying in bed eating Ben and Jerry’s.

3. The fabulous colourful dress that makes you feel even more gorgeous those days you already feel great.

4. The simple, fitted, white T-shirt. You can wear it together with a jeans, or whatever that suits your mood. It is so simple, but can be oh so sexy.

5. A grey or a black fitted blazer. For those days you want to power dress, or you just want to style up your jeans.

This should be the backbone of every wardrobe. So if you have these things, do you really need to buy the whole Top Shop summer collection? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment